Some days it’s enough to wake up and smell the young herbs with July’s morning sun on the back of my neck. I make a cup of tea and head outside with Griffin. I wander barefoot into the herb garden while he takes care of his morning constitutional. As the plants warm up they release their perfume, some more than others. Dill. Lemon balm. Rosemary. Thyme. Lavender. Sage. Sometimes mint. Other herbs invite a gentle rub between thumb and index finger, imparting their tempting aroma throughout the morning whenever my hands pass near my nose. Basil. Parsley. Cilantro. Chives.
The whimsical sketchbook page above was created by Elizabeth Graeber (@elizabeth_draws) carefree sketches always make my day better (even her “drunk doodles”!) These herbal illustrations almost impart the magical smells of the herbs in the morning, don’t you think?
Griffin’s done and ready for breakfast. Have a great day!
- Chicken Provencal (rosslynredux.com)
- Mid-July Veggies (rosslynredux.com)
- Sally Lesh & Hyde Gate (rosslynredux.com)
- Almost Logical (rosslynredux.com)
- Full and By Farm: Summer Veggies (essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Tasty Teas from Garden Herbs (frugal-gardener.typepad.com)
- How to grow your own herb garden (writedge.com)