Rehabilitating Rosslyn has catalyzed many hours of reflection and “research” into what exactly constitutes a residence, and – considerably more compelling – how people stretch and redefine the concept of home. The above-pictured underground residence is a provocative example.
This underground residence, an incredible subterranean re-imagination of same-old-same-old domicile, is “situated in the Swiss village of Vals, deep in the mountains… which makes for a perfect getaway. The unusual architectural plan comes from SeARCH and Christian Muller Architects. The entrance is a wide oval opening” in the hillside, allowing ample sunlight to fill the patio and enter the residence through numerous large windows. An interesting concept if you don’t mind lots and lots of concrete. And deeply scarring the natural environment.
- The House Inside a Hill – Villa Vals, Switzerland (twistedsifter.com)
- 6 Fascinating Underground Homes That Go Above and Beyond (inhabitat.com)
- Ten Elaborate Underground Homes (neatorama.com)
- 10 Amazing Underground Homes (oddee.com)
- That’s Rather Subterranean: Come Explore the World’s Only Underground Bunker Town (curbed.com)